Jerusalem Seminar — GP:BIB691
3 credit hours
January 2-22, 2015
This course is full for January 2015
This study tour is offered through Bethel College, North Newton, Kansas. AMBS invites seminary students and other interested people to participate; seminary credit is available for those who choose to register for credit.
- To understand the biblical text in the context of the history and geography of Palestine-including visiting significant archaeological sites.
- To learn about the religions and cultures of the Middle East, particularly Judaism, Islam, and Eastern Christianity. Meet people from these traditions, visit their religious services.
- To understand better the dynamics of the Palestinian-Israeli conflict by meeting with Israeli Jews, Palestinian Christians, and Muslims representing various points of view.
- To take time for reflection and silence together as we process what we are learning and experiencing. Regular times for group worship as well as personal reflection and prayer.
Application and registration
To register for the trip, send name, address, phone number, and email address (if available) to Patricia Shelly, Bethel College, North Newton, Kansas 67117 (or email [email protected]). We also will need a copy of the first page of your passport by September 15 to apply for a group visa.
To register for the course, use the forms on the AMBS website:
- Admitted students register through usual registration procedures.
Non-admitted participants may register for the course with the one-course form:
Cost, deposit, and final payment
Estimated cost is $4500-4700, including roundtrip travel from Wichita (or other point of departure, depending on airline) to Amman, travel in-country, room and most meals, tips and fees to museums, archaeological sites, etc. Payment for airfare should be made directly to the travel agency (see below). Remaining costs will depend on total number of participants. There is also a $240 Bethel/Tabor audit fee for nonstudent participants in the seminar.
Either pay for airfare or make $500 deposit no later than September 10 ($400 refundable until November 1). The remainder of trip expense will be announced by October 1 and payment is due November.
Make checks payable to Bethel College and send to Patricia Shelly, Bethel College, 300 27th St, North Newton, Kansas 67117.
Patricia Shelly, PhD, Professor of Bible and Religion, Bethel College, North Newton, Kan. Director of Mennonite Central Committee Palestine from 1996-2000, with 30 years of experience in study , travel and leading seminars in Israel/Palestine.
Douglas Miller, PhD, Professor of Biblical and Religious Studies, Tabor College, Hillsboro, Kan.
For course registration credit details: AMBS registrar, 574.296.6268 or [email protected]