Rachel Miller Jacobs
- Assistant Professor of Congregational Formation
- B.A., Goshen College, 1984
- M.A., Indiana University, 1987
- M.Div., Associated Mennonite Biblical Seminary, 2000
- D.Min., McCormick Theological Seminary, 2013
- “Broadening Our Worship Practices” and “The Cross-Cultural Invitation of Pentecost,” Leader (Spring 2012)
- Bible study of Acts 2:1–13, www.leaderonline.org “Reading the Bible with Youth,” in Vision: A Journal for Church and Theology (Fall 2010)
- Five biblically-based dramas in “Joyfully Follow Jesus,” www.mennoniteusa.org//onesource//JoyfullyFollowJesus.pdf (2005)
- “When My Father Died,” in Vision: A Journal for Church and Theology (Spring 2004)
- “Hannah: Her Story,” in Vision: A Journal for Church and Theology (Spring 2003)
Reading the Bible in congregational settings, congregational formation and family spirituality
Rachel Miller Jacobs has a love for the church that leads her into many forms of ministry. She is a spiritual director and is worship resources coordinator for Leader, a magazine of Mennonite Church Canada and Mennonite Church USA. For six years she was pastor of Christian formation for a local congregation and she leads retreats and workshops for groups, including congregations, pastors and youth.
"Nothing is as exciting to me as people fully alive, loving God with heart, soul, strength, and mind, and their neighbors as themselves. Though we may be drawn into God’s reign by right passion (orthopathy), right action (orthopraxy), or right thinking (orthodoxy), spiritual maturity will require us to speak not only our mother tongue but to become fluent in the other two as well. This kind of language learning and teaching is crucial in seminary classrooms—and also in families, communities, and congregations. I want to invite others into a circle where we compare notes, share wisdom, and spur each other on, all with an eye to joining what God is doing."
What students can expect in my courses
- I routinely use a variety of teaching/learning activities pretty including mini-lectures, discussion, hands-on learning activities and simulations.
Community and professional engagements
- Board member, Maple City Health Care Center, Goshen, Ind.
- Active in spiritual directors' peer supervision group
- Active participant in a daily prayer group
- Teaching Sunday school, most recently for youth in junior high