Spiritual Guidance Seminar
Two levels of training in spiritual guidance are offered by the AMBS Church Leadership Center. Each meets several times over a ten-month period, giving participants opportunities to practice and reflect on their learnings.
During the 2013-2014 year, the advanced level is being offered.
Spiritual Guidance Seminar
Spiritual Guidance Seminar is a supervised program for pastors and spiritual guides. It was offered during the 2012-2013 year.
Congregational ministry provides many opportunities for accompanying people on their spiritual journeys and guiding them to deeper faith in God. In this seminar, the art of spiritual guidance is learned both through theoretical study and developing practical ministry skills through:
- Study of the literature of spiritual guidance
- The experience of spiritual guidance (both as director and directee)
- Reflection on and discussion of assigned readings
- Participation in case reviews and supervision
- Theological reflection on the readings, discussions and personal experience
- Grow in understanding the ways of God in human experience
- Become knowledgeable in the literature on spiritual guidance
- Develop skills for one-to-one spiritual guidance ministry
- Acquire resources and skills to promote and guide spiritual friendship and spiritual guidance ministry in the life of the congregation
- Practice spiritual disciplines and meet regularly (at least monthly) with a spiritual director
- Read two books prior to the first session of the seminar:
- William A. Barry and William J. Connolly, The Practice of Spiritual Direction (Seabury Press, 1982);
- Margaret Guenther, Holy Listening: The Art of Spiritual Direction (Cowley Publications, 1992).
- Participate in all seminar sessions, completing readings to be discussed at each session (readings will include a variety of short articles and essays as well as three additional texts).
- Provide spiritual guidance for at least two people for a minimum of 15 sessions total (at least seven sessions with one person) during the course of the seminar.
- Participate in regular supervision, including telephone conversations with supervisors, written reports and tape recordings of several spiritual guidance sessions.
- At least one year receiving spiritual direction and regular practice of spiritual disciplines
- Active involvement in a local congregation
- Coursework or background in human development, pastoral counseling, and Christian spirituality
- Two letters of recommendation indicating your readiness for training as a spiritual director, one from your pastor or area conference minister and another from your spiritual director
- Permission of instructor
Marlene Kropf, associate professor in spiritual formation and worship at AMBS.
Dan Schrock, an experienced pastor and spiritual director from Goshen, Ind. Dan will lead six sessions as a guest presenter.
Rachel Miller Jacobs, assistant professor of congregational formation and an experienced pastor and spiritual director, will assist in providing supervision.
The seminar meets over eight months to allow time for participants to examine and integrate ideas, readings and skills into their practice of spiritual guidance. Daily sessions are normally 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Participants should reserve the evenings of the first three days of training for reading and reflection. Lodging for participants who travel from a distance is available for a fee, upon request, at the seminary guest house.
Continuing education units
6.0 CEUs are available for completing this seminar.
For more informationContact the AMBS Church Leadership Center at [email protected] or at 574-296-6269.
Advanced Spiritual Guidance Seminar
Advanced Spiritual Guidance Seminar will be offered during the 2013-2014 year. It is a yearlong supervised program in spiritual guidance for people engaged in the ministry of spiritual direction who wish to enhance their training and skills.
It is open to spiritual directors who have received training in spiritual direction and who have been offering direction for at least two years (one of those years can be the internship year during which training was received).
Advanced Spiritual Guidance Seminar will meet these seven Saturdays, from 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM: