Study tips and resources
The following are tips and resources to assist you in your study of Leading God's People curriculum.
- The designated readings for each lesson are in the section at the back of each study unit. These readings are intended for your educational enrichment; some also provide background information you will need in order to complete the assignments.
- The assignments you are to submit to your instructor are identified by the hand and pen icon on the right. This curriculum focuses on developing your role as a pastor. In dialogue with your instructor, if you are not a pastor use the perspective of your current leadership role in the congregation. If that also does not apply, answer the questions as if you were a pastor.
- In addition to the assignments for each lesson, you will need to complete one or more unit projects. These are listed on a page between the last lesson and the Readings section. Please clarify with your instructor the number of projects you need to submit and dates they are due.
- Each student enrolled in the course must have a mentor. You will find guidelines for mentor-student relationships here.
- In all five units, Hymnal: A Worship Book (“Hymnal”) is a reference resource for your study. The texts of some of the songs used are included within the lessons. If you do not have a copy of this hymnal we will supply one for you.
- To aid in your study for this unit, we encourage you to obtain a good Bible dictionary. We recommend Eerdmans Dictionary of the Bible, David Noel Freedman, Allen C. Myers, Astrid B. Beck, eds. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2000. ISBN: 978-0-8028-2400-4.
- All scripture quotations, unless otherwise noted, are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible, (©Division of Christian Education of the National Council of Churches of Christ in the United States of America, 1989). We also suggest that you obtain a study Bible HarperCollins Study Bible with the Apocrypha (NRSV). Revised Student ed. Harper Collins, 2006. ISBN: 97800060786847 for use in this study.