Certificate in Christian Spiritual Formation
For bivocational pastors and congregational leaders
This certificate develops knowledge and skills in leaders for nurturing Christian spiritual formation in the activities, practices and programs of congregational life. This certificate will require on-campus or hybrid courses to meet the requirements and will involve part-time study over several years, since required courses are not always offered in the same year. All courses must be taken through AMBS, either on campus or in arranged off-campus offerings.
Program of study
- Biblical Spirituality or Psalms
- Christian Theology 1*
- History of Christian Spirituality
- Human Development and Christian Formation*
- Principles of Pastoral Care
- Spiritual Guidance Practicum**
- A Spiritual Practices course or courses*
General electives (7-8 credit hours)
- Christian Spirituality for Peace- and Justice-making
- Faith Formation and Spirituality: Youth and Young Adults or another Faith Formation and Spirituality course
- A Spiritual Practices course or courses
Total credit hours: 27
*Courses required before taking the Spiritual Guidance Practicum.
**The Spiritual Guidance Practicum requires students to complete the three courses marked above with an asterisk, to be active in their congregations and to have at least a year of experience in receiving spiritual direction.
For detailed information, please review the AMBS Catalog.