Graduate Certificate in Theological Studies
Design your own course of study
AMBS’s Graduate Certificate in Theological Studies is designed to provide professionals, congregational leaders, and bivocational pastors with a foundation in theological and biblical study, spiritual enrichment, and fuller integration of Christian faith into their work and ministry.
The certificate requires 27 credit hours and can be completed in one year with full-time study or over the course of several years with part-time study, including online and hybrid courses.
The certificate allows students to select courses for a special interest or ministry. People who seek basic theological training to enhance their participation in their congregation or profession or who desire opportunities for spiritual formation can develop a plan of study tailored to their interests in consultation with an assigned advisor.
The certificate may be done fully online or with any combination of online, hybrid, and campus courses. Students may transfer up to 12 credit hours from other accredited seminaries.
The following foundational courses are recommended, but not required, for students pursuing the Graduate Certificate in Theological Studies:
- Strange New World of the Bible 1 and 2
- One or both of the biblical languages or Introduction to Bible Study Tools
- Christian Theology 1
- Christian Theology 2
- God’s Shalom and the Church’s Witness
- Anabaptist History and Theology
For course descriptions and more details, download the AMBS Catalog.
Total credit hours: 27
Note: The certificate does not meet the gainful employment criteria set by the U.S. Department of Education. In addition to the certificate, a concentration in Peace Studies is available to students of Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary in Evanston, Illinois.
Apply for seminary study
- Contact our Enrollment Specialist.
- Review some of our online course options.
- Review the application process.
- Apply online for admission.
Get financial aid details
- AMBS offers generous, need-based financial aid and scholarships, including special funding for Canadian and international students.