Peace Studies courses
At AMBS, we engage peacebuilding from biblical, theological, historical, ethical, ecclesiological, cultural and pastoral perspectives. The following courses can help ground you in peace theology as well as strengthen your practical peacebuilding skills.
Please note: Course IDs ending in “E” are online courses.
IDs ending in “H” are hybrid courses.
IDs ending in “B” are blended courses (campus courses that students who are at a distance from Elkhart can join via live videoconference during posted class times [Eastern Time]).
Course titles appearing in bold will be offered during the 2021–22 academic year. For course descriptions, see our online catalog.
- Biblical Foundations for Peace and Justice (BIB651) (Semester Two)
- Confronting Sexualized Violence in the Bible (BIB556)
- Luke-Acts: Gospeling Peace Amid Empire (BIB526, BIB526B) (Semester One)
- The Religious Other in the Bible (BIB620)
- Stranger No More: Migration, the Bible, and the Church (BIB555)
- Theology and Ethics of the Gospels (BIB642)
History, Theology, and Ethics
- Christian Attitudes Toward War, Peace, and Revolution (HTE644) (Semester One)
- Church and Race (HTE649, HTE649B) (Semester Two)
- Earthkeeping (HTE670, HTE670B) (Semester One)
- Economic Justice and Christian Conscience (HTE641, HTE641H)
- Ethics and Practice of Forgiveness (HTE657, HTE657H)
- Human Sexuality and Christian Ethics (HTE646, HTE646H)
- Introduction to Peace Studies and Nonviolence (HTE550) (Semester One)
- Islam and Christian-Muslim Relations (HTE686E) (Semester Two)
- Political Theology and Ethics (HTE628)
- Practicing and Embodying Nonviolence (HTE664) (Intensive Term)
- Religion and Peace Processes (HTE575)
- Religion, Violence, and Peacebuilding (HTE555) (Intensive Term)
- Theology and Women’s Narratives (HTE623, HTE623H)
- Theology in Context (HTE618H) (Semester One)
- Witness Colloquium (HTE534, HTE534B, HTE538, HTE538B) (Semesters One and Two)
Church and Ministry
- Christian Leadership in the 21st Century (CHM621H) (Intensive Term)
- Conflict, Communication, and Conciliation (CHM633H)
- Cultural Hermeneutics (CHM610)
- God’s Shalom and the Church’s Witness (CHM500) (Semester One)
- The Trail of Death: A Pilgrimage of Remembrance, Lament, and Transformation (CHM518, HTE564)
For course descriptions, see our online catalog.