Daniel S. Schipani, DrPsy, PhD
Professor Emeritus of Pastoral Care and Counseling
Prior to coming to AMBS in 1985, Daniel was associate professor of pastoral care and counseling at Evangelical Seminary of Puerto Rico for nine years. He lectures widely in North America, Latin America, and the Netherlands and has written extensively in English and Spanish, including several recent works on pastoral and interfaith spiritual care.
- Ph.D., Princeton Theological Seminary, 1981
- M.A.R., Goshen Biblical Seminary, 1974
- Dr. Psy., Universidad Católica Argentina, 1968
- Lic. Psy., Universidad de Buenos Aires, 1965
"I view the church as God’s alternative community called to carry on Jesus’ liberating, healing, reconciling, and recreating ministry. As a living sign of divine love and wisdom in and for the world, the church celebrates, embodies, and witnesses to the reign of God. Practical theology involves contextual and committed reflection on the life and ministry of the church, and on the process of formation and transformation of persons, families, and communities. I enjoy being engaged in such an endeavor in the intersection of the disciplines and fields of theology, pastoral psychology, and education."
Community and professional engagement
- Volunteer pastoral counselor at Maple City Health Care Center since 1998.
- Active member of the Intercultural Reading of the Bible Collective
- Active member of the Society for Intercultural Pastoral Care and Counseling
- Member of the International Academy of Practical Theology
- Active member of Belmont Mennonite Church
- Consejo Pastoral: Camino de Sabiduría (Kairós, 2010)
- Nuevos Caminos en Psicología Pastoral (Kairós, 2010), editor
- Interfaith Spiritual Care: Understandings and Practices (Pandora, 2009), co-editor
- Mennonite Perspectives on Pastoral Counseling (Institute of Mennonite Studies and Herald Press, 2007), editor
- Spiritual Caregiving in the Hospital: Windows to Chaplaincy Ministry (Pandora Press, 2006), co-editor
- Through the Eyes of Another: Intercultural Reading of the Bible (Institute of Mennonite Studies and The Free University, Amsterdam, 2004), co-editor
- Multifaith Views in Spiritual Care (Pandora Press, 2013), editor