Application process at AMBS

The application process at Anabaptist Mennonite Biblical Seminary requires:

  1. Completed application form (Note: Forms are provided specifically for U.S. applicants, Canadian applicants and international applicants.)
  2. Completed personal statement
  3. A non-refundable application fee
  4. Transcripts of academic credit beyond the high school level
  5. Three references: pastor, college teacher or academic adviser, and layperson.
  6. Completed and signed background check forms


Online admissions applications

Other details

Send the completed application form and fee to AMBS Admissions, 3003 Benham Avenue, Elkhart, IN 46517. Request that your transcript(s) be sent to this same address. For U.S. and Canadian applicants, AMBS will send a reference form to the people you have identified in the application in order to obtain the needed references. Applicants from outside North America must download and send reference forms to the appropriate people, asking them to send the completed forms to AMBS.

Applications are subject to review by the AMBS Admissions Committee.

Students may take up to three courses at AMBS before applying for admission, following the procedures listed here. If you wish to register for only one course (whether you have applied for admission or not), you may use the online registration form.

International Students

Students from outside North America who are not citizens of the United States must submit additional documents and fees. Requirements vary according to whether the applicant is a citizen of Canada or a citizen of another country. Complete instructions for these documents and fees are included within the application forms (either online or PDF).


Upon admission to AMBS, the registrar mails a visa permission document to the student.

AMBS is authorized to issue two types of visas:

  • F-1 Student Status, issued with Form I-20, "Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status."
  • J-1 Exchange Visitor Status, issued with Form IAP-66, "Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status."

Either type can be used for student status. Both require full-time enrollment—at least 9.0 hours per semester. Both allow students to work part-time on campus during the academic year and full-time in the summer. Spouses of F-1 students may not be employed, either on or off campus. Spouses of J-1 students may apply to the immigration service to obtain a work permit, if financial need exists.


Complete the application process as follows:

  • July 31 for applying to begin study in fall
  • Aug. 12 for registering for fall classes
  • Dec. 1 for enrolling spring semester
  • April 15 for applying for financial aid to receive the maximum for which you qualify