AMBS Church Leadership and Next Generation Awards
The AMBS Church Leadership Award and Next Generation Awards are full-tuition scholarships intended to encourage and support outstanding Mennonite students with gifts for ministry as they prepare to serve the church. The deadline for applying for these awards is February 1.
Each year, the awards are given to students beginning their first year of study at AMBS in a Masters program. They provide full-tuition grants for up to three years for a Master of Divinity degree and up to two years for a Master of Arts degree, provided the recipients continue in the programs.
Criteria for award recipients
Recipients will be Mennonites who are members in good standing of a congregation in Mennonite Church Canada, Mennonite Church USA or a related Mennonite group.
The decision to award a grant will be based on four factors:
- Previous academic performance, based on information gained from transcripts and references.
- Leadership potential and demonstrated skills, based on information gained from references.
- Theological discernment, based on a five- to ten-page paper written on the subject of “The Church.”
- Personal character and emotional health, based on information gained from references.
By the deadline, applicants must submit:
- A completed application for admission with all supporting materials, including transcript(s) and references.
- A completed Financial Aid and Scholarship Application.
- A five- to ten-page paper on the subject of “The Church.”
- Candidates for the Next Generation Award may be interviewed.
AMBS selects recipients of these awards by March 1 and informs them by mail. Recipients must accept their awards in writing by March 31 to confirm enrollment for the fall semester.
- Recipients will be enrolled as full-time students (nine hours or more per semester plus one short-term course during Interterm or the summer).
Students in the M.Div. program are eligible for an award for three consecutive years. Students in an M.A. program are eligible for an award for two consecutive years. No extensions of an award are possible.
Eligibility from year to year will be based on satisfactory progress toward the completion of the degree, including:
Maintaining a 3.0 GPA
Continuing as a full-time student
Supporting and adhering to AMBS community
- Eligibility from year to year will be based on satisfactory progress toward the completion of the degree, including:
- Recipients will not be eligible for need-based AMBS grants, including AMBS matching grants, in addition to the full tuition award.
Number of grants available
The number of awards granted in any year is dependent on how many current recipients are continuing as students and how many have graduated.
Apply for an AMBS scholarship
If you are interested in learning more about these scholarships, call the AMBS Admissions and Financial Aid Office at 1 (800) 964-2627.