Voluntary Service (VS) scholarships and tuition discount
Thank you for having given of your time and energy to participate in a voluntary service program! As a way of affirming your decision and also making theological education accessible for more leaders and emerging leaders in the church, AMBS is partnering with Christian Voluntary Service programs to offer scholarships to former VSers and a tuition discount to current VSers.
VS scholarship guidelines
- Who is eligible? Former VS participants in an approved VS program who completed the program in good standing. Any VS program that has an agreement in place with AMBS is an approved program.
- A scholarship in the amount of $1,500 will be provided to the former VS participant if he or she enrolls in a program of study and/or for-credit course.
- Enrollment must occur within five years of the completion of the student's VS assignment.
- The scholarship funds can only be applied toward AMBS tuition and can only be disbursed during one academic year. However, if a former VSer is enrolled in an academic program of study, the scholarship is renewable if he or she maintains full-time student status.
Note: The MDiv program is designed to be completed in three years, and MA programs are designed to be completed in two years. Students are eligible to receive the scholarship award based on the number of years required to complete their specific program of study.
- If a student takes an AMBS course while serving in the VS program, he or she will only be eligible for the scholarship for a future course if he or she received a C or higher in the course.
To apply, check the "Voluntary Service" box on your Scholarship Application, and the Financial Aid Office will verify your participation in the program. There is no application deadline.
VS tuition discount
AMBS offers a 75-percent tuition discount to active participants in the voluntary service programs named below. It's our way of saying Thanks for volunteering! and Come try seminary! This discount is available to VSers who have a baccalaureate degree and have not yet been admitted to AMBS. Students will need to purchase their course textbooks.
Available courses in Semester Two (Jan. 7 – April 30, 2020)
- Beginning Hebrew: Ruth (4 credit hours)
- Biblical Understandings of Migration (3 credit hours)
- Anabaptist History and Theology (3 credit hours)
- Spiritual Practices: Play and Rest (1 credit hour)
Our professors use Google Hangouts, conversation threads, YouTube lectures and more to bring a community atmosphere to online courses.
- Cost for a four-credit-hour course = $350 (normal rate: $2,160)
- Cost for a three-credit-hour course = $200 (normal rate: $1,620)
- Cost for a two-credit-hour course = $125 (normal rate: $1,080)
- Cost for a one-credit-hour course = $50 (normal rate: $540)
- Cost for a four-credit-hour course = $600 (normal rate: $2,160)
- Cost for a three-credit-hour course = $450 (normal rate: $1,620)
- Cost for a two-credit-hour course = $300 (normal rate: $1,080)
- Cost for a one-credit-hour course = $150 (normal rate: $540)
This is an amazing value. Take a course as a way to learn with your housemates or on your own!
Registration and more info
For information on hybrid, online and campus course descriptions and instructors, see the one-course options page. You’re expected to spend 10–12 hours each week on a three-credit-hour course. The credit you earn can be applied toward a degree at AMBS or transferred elsewhere. We hope you’ll take advantage of this opportunity!
- Visit our Course registration page to sign up; use the "VS registration form."
- Questions? Contact Teresa Thompson Sherrill, Enrollment and Financial Aid Specialist.
Image: Above, Tucson MVSer Karina Kreider took an AMBS course in 2016. (Photo provided)