Spiritual Guidance Seminar
Two levels of training in spiritual guidance are offered by the AMBS Church Leadership Center. Spiritual Guidance Seminar, the first level, is a supervised program for pastors and others who want to become spiritual guides. It will be offered during the 2016-2017 school year. Advanced Spiritual Guidance Seminar, the second level, will be offered again during 2017-2018. Each meets several times over a ten-month period, giving participants opportunities to practice and reflect on their learnings.
Dan Schrock, DMin, sessional faculty, AMBS, is an experienced pastor and spiritual director from Goshen, Ind.
Below is the 2016-2017 schedule.
August 25, 26, 27, 2016
October 3-4, 2016
December 5-6, 2016
March 6-7, 2017
May 1-2, 2017
The seminar meets over eight months to allow time for participants to examine and integrate ideas, readings and skills into their practice of spiritual guidance. Daily sessions are normally 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Participants should reserve the evenings of the first three days of training for reading and reflection.
Congregational ministry provides many opportunities for accompanying people on their spiritual journeys and guiding them to deeper faith in God. In this seminar, participants will learn the art of spiritual guidance both through theoretical study and developing practical ministry skills. Components include:
- Studying the literature of spiritual guidance
- Experiencing spiritual guidance (both as director and directee)
- Reflecting on and discussing assigned readings
- Participating in case reviews and supervision
- Reflecting theologically on the readings, discussions and personal experience
- Growing to understand the ways of God in human experience
- Becoming familiar with the literature of spiritual guidance
- Developing skills for one-to-one spiritual guidance ministry
- Acquiring resources and skills to promote spiritual guidance ministry in the life of the congregation
- Practice spiritual disciplines and meet at least monthly with a spiritual director
Read three books prior to the first session of the seminar (it may be best to read them in the following order):
- Sue Pickering, Spiritual Direction: A Practical Introduction (Canterbury Press, 2011)
- Susan S. Philips, Candlelight: Illuminating the Art of Spiritual Direction (Morehouse Publishing, 2008)
Richard Peace, Noticing God: In Mystical Encounters, in the Ordinary, in the Still Small Voice, in Community, in Creation and More (IVP Books, 2012)
(Two additional textbooks will be assigned after the seminar begins.)
- Participate in all seminar sessions, completing readings to be discussed at each session (readings will be available on-line and will include a variety of short articles and essays).
- Provide spiritual guidance for at least two people for a minimum of 15 sessions total (at least seven sessions with one person) during the course of the seminar.
- Participate in individual and peer group supervision, which includes preparing a contemplative reflection form and a dialogue form.
- At least one year of receiving spiritual direction before the seminar begins
- A regular practice of spiritual disciplines
- Active involvement in a local congregation
- Coursework or background in human development, pastoral counseling, and Christian spirituality
- Permission of instructor
- Submit an online application.
- Please provide two letters of recommendation indicating your readiness for training as a spiritual director, one from your pastor or area conference minister, and another from your spiritual director.
- Persons writing these letters may submit them via postal mail to Church Leadership Center, 3003 Benham Ave, Elkhart, IN 46517 or by email to [email protected]
- Complete the online application
- Provide two letters of recommendation (see details below)
The cost of the seminar is $950.
After you have been notified of acceptance into the program a non-refundable deposit of $475 is due with the remaining payment of $475 due August 25, the first day of the seminar.
Click here for the payment form.
A non-refundable deposit of $475 is due upon acceptance. Course cancellations after August 25 will not be refunded.
All sessions will be held on the AMBS campus.
Lodging for participants who travel from a distance is available for a fee, upon request, at the seminary guest house on a first come first served basis. Contact the AMBS receptionist, 574.295.3726 ext. 0, to check availability and to make lodging arrangements. Please tell her the event to which you are coming and make payment for lodging with her.
Bring your own sack lunch or eat at a local restaurant. A list of local restaurants will be provided on the first day.
Continuing education units
6.0 CEUs are available for completing this seminar.
Email the Church Leadership Center