Why is AMBS affordable?
It is our goal to keep our base tuition rates low so we can make theological education affordable and accessible for a diverse body of students and offer a wide range of financial aid and scholarships. We want to support developing leaders to freely serve the church—unencumbered by large student debt loads.
Yes, you can afford seminary!
AMBS’s low base tuition rate
+ generous need-based financial aid
+ scholarships for full- or part-time students
+ church matching grants
= an affordable seminary degree
Did you know theological education is accessible?
- Only 6.5% of our students borrowed to pay for AMBS in 2020–21. (According to the Association for Theological Schools, in general, an average of 40% of U.S. and Canadian students borrow to attend seminary)
- In Academic Year 2020–21, the average amount of student tuition costs covered by need-based financial aid and scholarships at AMBS was 64%.
- AMBS offered a total of 105 scholarships to both full- and part-time students for Academic Year 2021–22.
- AMBS matches congregational contributions, up to $2,000 per year per student, made by churches or conferences/regional churches toward a student’s tuition costs.
Tuition and fees for 2022–23
Course tuition and fees for 2022–23
|Regular tuition per credit hour||$555|
|Audit tuition per credit hour—AMBS graduates||$95|
|Audit tuition per credit hour—regular||$128|
|Independent study tuition per credit hour||$592|
|Student services fee per credit hour (applies to all tuition types)||$20|
|Tuition for each semester, including student services fee (12 credit hours)||$6,900|
|Tuition cost for one year of full-time study: 27 credit hours (including 12 credit hours per semester plus 3 Intensive Term credit hours and corresponding student services fees)||$15,525|
Various registrar and student fees/discounts for 2022–23
|Application fee (nonrefundable)||$50|
|Course change fee (after close of registration)||$40|
|Deferred tuition payment plan setup fee||$17|
|Late payment fee (tuition/rent not paid on time); monthly charge for past-due accounts||$40|
|MDiv Thesis Extension fee (equal to one credit hour)||$555|
|Ministry and Mission Experience (MME) fee per credit hour||$555|
|Registration fee (charged each term for returning admitted students only)||$100|
|Early registration discount (for returning admitted students only)||($100)|
Payment of tuition and fees for admitted students:
- Payment of tuition and fees is due at the beginning of each term. Payment may be made online by credit card (VISA, MasterCard, Discover or American Express) or by check sent to Business Office, AMBS, 3003 Benham Avenue, Elkhart, IN 46517.
- Students who are taking four or more credit hours a semester may apply to pay tuition and fees in installments by contacting the Business Office Manager (audit hours do not qualify). Late payments are subject to a late fee.
- Full-time study consists of nine or more credit hours per semester. Students with a full-time load take from nine to 14 hours per semester, with 12 hours being a typical load.
- All admitted students may apply for AMBS need-based financial aid.
- Returning/continuing students are charged a $100 registration fee at the beginning of each term. If they register by the early registration date noted on the Academic Calendar for that term, they receive a $100 early registration discount, which offsets this fee. (The registration fee and the early registration discount do not apply to newly admitted or nonadmitted students.)
Payment of tuition and fees for nonadmitted students and graduates:
- Payment of tuition and fees is due at the time of registration. Payment may be made online by credit card (VISA, MasterCard, Discover or American Express) or by check sent to Business Office, AMBS, 3003 Benham Avenue, Elkhart, IN 46517.
- Financial aid and payment plans are not available.
Looking for more information?
Meet the AMBS Admissions Team
From your first inquiry about seminary study to your transition from applicant to student, we’re here to help you.