Rick has consulted widely with not-for-profit organizations across the U.S. and internationally for more than 30 years. He served as President/CEO of MMennonite Health Services (MHS) for 20 years before stepping aside in 2018. Rick has an extensive background in executive leadership, teaching and consulting work in the nonprofit sector. He is also a frequent speaker at state, regional and national meetings.
Rick’s current consulting work focuses on executive development, strategic positioning and planning, affiliation development, values integration and not-for-profit board education and development. Among many projects, he recently completed an 18-month leadership formation project with health sector senior leadership in Ethiopia. Rick has worked ecumenically with organizations from many different faith traditions.
Rick is active with LeadingAge — a national nonprofit association in the senior services sector. He was a co-founder of the Inter-faith Roundtable — a national consortium of faith-based associations that serve health and human service organizations. He was instrumental in the development of an international federation of Anabaptist health and human service organizations. Rick has also served in leadership capacities on numerous boards.
Rick’s areas of expertise include:
- assisting organizations in exploring collaboration and affiliation to include the consideration of operational streamlining possibilities and stakeholder perspectives. He gives special attention to cultural and mission alignment.
- advising boards and executives on effective governance and organizational structures, especially for multi-site systems
- developing strategic anticipation and positioning
- articulating organizational values and integrating them into corporate culture
- providing executive mentoring, especially during transitions
Rick’s prior experience includes Chief of Operations and Executive VP with Greencroft Retirement Communities where he developed a consulting division and served as a turn-around executive for a managed retirement community. He also served in a senior leadership role with the mission agency of Mennonite Church USA.
Rick is the co-author of Setting the Agenda: Meditations for the Organization’s Soul and has written many other pieces on various topics of non-profit governance.