Journey: A Missional Leadership Development Program
for International Participants
Journey is for participants from all over the world! We welcome:
Pastors, lay leaders, and church planters from any church affiliated with Mennonite World Conference. If this is you, learn more by reading through the questions and answers below.
Schools, seminaries, and church denominations from outside North America that want to form educational partnerships with us. If this is you, please email us for more information.
No. You can complete the entire Journey program in your home country, without ever coming to the United States.
Once you’ve met all the requirements of the Journey program, you’ll receive a certificate of completion. Because Journey isn't a graduate-level program, your certificate won't carry academic credit at AMBS. You can, however, apply for undergraduate-level credit at one of our educational partners. Our current partnership is listed below, and we're working on more!
Eastern Mennonite University, Harrisonburg, Virginia, USA
- Complete the full Journey program.
- Present your Journey certification to the EMU Registrar's office.
- Pay a $300 recording fee to EMU and be entered in the student database.
- Receive 15 credit hours that can be used as elective or general credits toward an undergraduate degree!
Through Journey, you’ll develop strengths in six areas:
- Spiritual disciplines, especially prayer and inner work
- Bible study and theology from an Anabaptist perspective
- Personal character, including courage, consistency, love, and self-discipline
- Mentoring and community, as you mentor others and are mentored yourself
- Recognizing spiritual gifts in yourself and your congregation
- Leadership skills, including preaching, worship, conflict transformation, time management, and more
The program is divided into 5 units:
- The Biblical Story
- The Mission of God and the Witness of the Church
- Anabaptism: Foundations and Future—A Way of Being Church
- Leadership: The Ministry of Reconciliation
- Announcement and Celebration: Proclamation and Worship that Participate in the Mission of God
Both! Journey combines four key elements:
- Working online with other participants
- Meeting with a pastoral mentor
- Meeting with local or regional church leaders
- Writing a reflection paper after each unit
To apply, you must be:
- able to work online, with regular internet access
- fluent in English at the level of early university study
- recommended by a church leader affiliated with Mennonite World Conference or one of our Educational Partners
- willing to find a suitable pastoral mentor
Please email us if you have questions about these requirements or want to know more about finding a pastoral mentor.
- We expect you to do at least 5 hours of study per week during a unit.
- Each of the 5 units runs for 20-22 weeks.
- The total amount of time to complete the program is 2-and-a-half years.
The 1st unit of each year runs mid-September to mid-February.
The 2nd unit of each year runs mid-February to mid-July.
This cycle repeats as participants progress through Units 1-5.
Pastoral mentors must be ready to support applicants in a variety of ways. Mentors commit to meeting with their mentee every two weeks as well as regularly reading the participant’s learning journal and participating in annual gatherings. Qualified mentors will also have experience as a pastor, church planter, missionary or have served in another relevant church role. Ideally, a mentor would also have a seminary degree or have completed the Journey program.
Both applicants and pastoral mentors must be recommended for study in the program by district ministers or other suitable officials.
Tuesday, July 14, 2020 Early application deadline for Fall 2020 (save $100)
Tuesday, Aug. 11, 2020 Final application deadline for Fall 2020
Tuesday, Aug. 21, 2020 Tuition deposit and Fall WLE fees due (new and returning students).
Friday, Sept. 11, 2020 Remaining tuition due.
Friday-Sunday, Sept. 11-13, 2020 WLE at Amigo Centre, Sturgis, Mich.
Wednesday, Sept. 16, 2020 Online coursework for Fall 2020 begins
Friday-Sunday, Jan. 29 - 31, 2021 Weekend Learning Event at AMBS, Elkhart Ind.
Wednesday, Feb. 10, 2021 Online session begins
Email us at [email protected] or call (574) 296-6269.
Online units of study begin each September and February. The complete program includes five units spanning two and a half years. Each unit costs $600 USD before the early registration deadline, or $700 USD after the early registration deadline. Financial assistance is available. Apply for financial assistance here.
For Fall 2020 session:
Aug 21: $300 USD non-refundable deposit due
Sept 11: Remaining tuition payment due
Refund Deadline: one week after first day of online class
The fees listed above cover the cost of tuition only. Any other costs you might incur are not covered, including the costs of travel, lodging, and meals while you're meeting with local or regional church leaders. In addition, your pastoral mentor will not receive remuneration.
1) A $300 non-refundable deposit is due upon acceptance.
2) The remaining tuition payment is due by the first day of the session.
3) No refunds will be granted after the first week of class.
4) Weekend Learning Event lodging and meal fees are due 2 weeks before the event and are non-refundable.