for North American participants
Once you’ve met all the requirements of the Journey program, you’ll receive a certificate of completion. Because Journey isn't a graduate-level program, your certificate won't carry academic credit at AMBS. You can, however, apply for undergraduate-level credit at one of our educational partners. Our current partnership is listed below, and we're working on more!
Eastern Mennonite University, Harrisonburg, Virginia, USA
- Complete the full Journey program.
- Present your Journey certification to the EMU Registrar's office.
- Pay a $300 recording fee to EMU and be entered in the student database.
- Receive 15 credit hours that can be used as elective or general credits toward an undergraduate degree!
Through Journey, you’ll develop strengths in six areas:
- Spiritual disciplines, especially prayer and inner work
- Bible study and theology from an Anabaptist perspective
- Personal character, including courage, consistency, love, and self-discipline
- Mentoring and community, as you mentor others and are mentored yourself
- Recognizing spiritual gifts in yourself and your congregation
- Leadership skills, including preaching, worship, conflict transformation, time management, and more
The program is divided into 5 units:
- The Mission of God and the Witness of the Church
- The Biblical Story
- Anabaptism: Foundations and Future—A Way of Being Church
- Leadership: The Ministry of Reconciliation
- Announcement and Celebration: Proclamation and Worship that Participate in the Mission of God
All of the above! Journey combines three different learning environments:
- Online coursework with other participants
- An annual visit to Amigo Centre (Sturgis, MI)
- Meetings with a local pastoral mentor every two weeks
So, in order to participate, you’ll need to be able to work online, to travel to the Fall Weekend Learning Event (where you’ll pay lodging and meal costs), and to meet with a pastoral mentor who's been approved by your conference minister or an equivalent regional church official.
- We expect you to do at least 5 hours of study per week during a unit.
- Each of the 5 units runs for 20-22 weeks.
- The total amount of time to complete the program is 3 years.
Journey follows a regular annual schedule:
- Early September: Fall Weekend Learning Event at Amigo Centre (Sturgis, MI)
- Mid-September to mid-February: Online coursework for Fall unit
- Early February: Winter Weekend Learning Event at AMBS (Elkhart, IN). You're not required to participate in this event, but many students love getting the chance to meet with their instructors and colleagues in person.
- Mid-February to mid-July: Online coursework for Winter unit
Begin your Journey this Fall!
July 17: Deadline for early registration discount
Aug. 7: Deadline for all applications
The cost for the Fall and Winter units is $600 USD per unit before July 17, and $700 USD after. This does not include lodging and meal fees at Weekend Learning Events.
Aug. 14: $300 USD non-refundable deposit due
Sept. 7: Remaining tuition payment due
Sept. 14: Deadline for refunds
Lodging and meal fees for Weekend Learning Events are due August 14 and are non-refundable. Fees cover both you and your pastoral mentor for the weekend, including two nights.
Meals plus shared room, 4 per room: $168 USD per pair (This option has reached capacity and is no longer available).
Meals plus shared room, 3 per room: $196 USD per pair
Meals plus shared room, 2 per room: $252 USD per pair
Meals plus individual rooms: $422 USD per pair
Meals only: $95 USD per pair
Feb. 21: Online coursework for Winter 2018 unit begins
July 11: Online coursework for Winter 2018 unit ends
July 17: Early registration deadline for Fall 2018 unit
Aug. 7: Final registration deadline for Fall 2018 unit
Sept. 7-9: Fall Weekend Learning Event at Amigo Centre (Sturgis, MI)
Sept. 12: Online coursework for Fall 2018 unit begins
Dec. 14: Early registration deadline for Winter 2019 unit
Jan. 4, 2019 Final registration deadline for Winter 2019 unit
Feb. 13, 2019 Online coursework for Fall 2018 unit ends
Feb. 1-3, 2019 Weekend Learning Event at AMBS
Feb. 20, 2019 Online coursework for Winter 2019 unit begins
July 24, 2019 Online coursework for Winter 2019 unit ends
Call (574) 296-6269.