Journey: A Missional Leadership Development Program
for North American participants
Cultivate your spiritual formation. Nurture your leadership abilities. Deepen your theological perspectives.
The two-and-a-half to three-year Journey program is designed for pastors, those exploring a call to ministry, church planters, and other congregational lay leaders.
Through out the program, learners will find a rhythm of group and individual learning that includes a combination of online study, bi-weekly meetings with a mentor and face-to-face gatherings.
The curriculum of the Journey program will help you name and develop strengths in six areas: spiritual disciplines, theological and biblical studies, character development, mentoring and community, gift development and leadership skills.
Once you’ve met all the requirements of the Journey program, you’ll receive a certificate of completion. Because Journey isn't a graduate-level program, your certificate won't carry academic credit at AMBS. You can, however, apply for undergraduate-level credit at one of our educational partners. Our current partnership is listed below, and we're working on more!
Eastern Mennonite University, Harrisonburg, Virginia, USA
- Complete the full Journey program.
- Present your Journey certification to the EMU Registrar's office.
- Pay a $300 recording fee to EMU and be entered in the student database.
- Receive 15 credit hours that can be used as elective or general credits toward an undergraduate degree!
Through Journey, you’ll develop strengths in six areas:
- Spiritual disciplines, especially prayer and inner work
- Bible study and theology from an Anabaptist perspective
- Personal character, including courage, consistency, love, and self-discipline
- Mentoring and community, as you mentor others and are mentored yourself
- Recognizing spiritual gifts in yourself and your congregation
- Leadership skills, including preaching, worship, conflict transformation, time management, and more
The program is divided into 5 units:
- The Mission of God and the Witness of the Church
- The Biblical Story
- Anabaptism: Foundations and Future—A Way of Being Church
- Leadership: The Ministry of Reconciliation
- Announcement and Celebration: Proclamation and Worship that Participate in the Mission of God
All of the above! Journey combines three different learning environments:
- Online coursework with other participants
- An annual visit to Amigo Centre (Sturgis, MI)
- Meetings with a local pastoral mentor every two weeks
So, in order to participate, you’ll need to be able to work online, to travel to the Fall Weekend Learning Event (where you’ll pay lodging and meal costs), and to meet with a pastoral mentor who's been approved by your conference minister or an equivalent regional church official.
- We expect you to do at least 5 hours of study per week during a unit.
- Each of the 5 units runs for 20-22 weeks.
- The total amount of time to complete the program is 2 1/2 years.
Journey follows a regular annual schedule:
- Early September: Fall Weekend Learning Event at Amigo Centre (Sturgis, MI)
- Mid-September to mid-February: Online coursework for Fall unit
- Early February: Winter Weekend Learning Event at AMBS (Elkhart, IN). You're not required to participate in this event, but many students love getting the chance to meet with their instructors and colleagues in person.
- Mid-February to mid-July: Online coursework for Winter unit
To request an overview of the Journey curriculum, please email us at [email protected].
For other questions, email us at [email protected] or call 574-296-6269.
Ready to begin your application?
Begin your Journey!
July 16, 2019 Early application deadline for Fall 2019 ends (save $100)
Aug. 6, 2019 Application deadline for Fall 2019
Sept. 6-8, 2019 WLE at Amigo Centre, Sturgis, Mich.
Sept. 11, 2019 Online coursework for Fall 2019 begins
The cost for the Fall session is $600 USD before July 15, and $700 USD after. This does not include lodging and meal fees at the Fall Weekend Learning Event. See Lodging and Meal Fees for more information
Lodging and meal fees for Weekend Learning Events are due Aug. 23 and are non-refundable. Fees cover both you and your pastoral mentor for the weekend, including two nights.
Meals plus shared room, 4 per room: $168 USD per pair
Meals plus shared room, 3 per room: $196 USD per pair
Meals plus shared room, 2 per room: $252 USD per pair
Meals plus individual rooms: $422 USD per pair
Meals only: $95 USD per pair
Jan. 4, 2019 Final application deadline for Winter 2019
Feb. 13, 2019 Online coursework for Fall 2018 ends
Feb. 1-3, 2019 Weekend Learning Event at AMBS
Feb. 20, 2019 Online coursework for Winter 2019 begins
July 24, 2019 Online coursework for Winter 2019 ends
For more information, email us at [email protected] or call (574) 296-6269.