Journey: A Missional Leadership Development Program
for members of Central District, Indiana-Michigan and Ohio Conferences, Mennonite Church USA
Once you’ve met all the requirements of the Journey program, you’ll receive a certificate of completion. Because Journey isn't a graduate-level program, your certificate won't carry academic credit at AMBS. You can, however, apply for undergraduate-level credit at one of our educational partners. Our current partnership is listed below, and we're working on more!
Eastern Mennonite University, Harrisonburg, Virginia, USA
- Complete the full Journey program.
- Present your Journey certification to the EMU Registrar's office.
- Pay a $300 recording fee to EMU and be entered in the student database.
- Receive 15 credit hours that can be used as elective or general credits toward an undergraduate degree!
Through Journey, you’ll develop strengths in six areas:
- Spiritual disciplines, especially prayer and inner work
- Bible study and theology from an Anabaptist perspective
- Personal character, including courage, consistency, love, and self-discipline
- Mentoring and community, as you mentor others and are mentored yourself
- Recognizing spiritual gifts in yourself and your congregation
- Leadership skills, including preaching, worship, conflict transformation, time management, and more
The program is divided into 5 units, with a final project that you’ll choose in conversation with your mentor and conference minister.
- The Biblical Story
- The Mission of God and the Witness of the Church
- Anabaptism: Foundations and Future—A Way of Being Church
- Leadership: The Ministry of Reconciliation
- Announcement and Celebration: Proclamation and Worship that Participate in the Mission of God
All of the above! Journey combines three different learning environments:
- Online coursework with other participants
- Annual visits to Amigo Centre (Sturgis, MI) and AMBS (Elkhart, IN)
- Meetings with a local pastoral mentor every two weeks
So, in order to participate, you’ll need to be able to work online, to travel to Fall and Winter Weekend Learning Events (where you’ll pay lodging and meal costs), and to meet with a pastoral mentor approved by your conference minister.
- We expect you to do at least 5 hours of study per week during a unit.
- Each of the 5 units runs for 20-22 weeks.
- Sponsoring conferences require an additional final project.
- The total amount of time to complete the program is 3 years.
Journey follows a regular annual schedule:
- Early September: Fall Weekend Learning Event at Amigo Centre (Sturgis, MI)
- Mid-September to mid-February: Online coursework for Fall unit
- Early February: Winter Weekend Learning Event at AMBS (Elkhart, IN)
- Mid-February to mid-July: Online coursework for Winter unit
You'll benefit in two ways:
- Pricing discounts. We’ve reduced the standard fee of $600 USD per unit to $450 USD per unit for members of sponsoring conferences. You’ll still be responsible for lodging and meal costs at Weekend Learning Events, however.
- Support from conference ministers. You’ll have a special opportunity to develop a relationship with your conference minister through the Journey program. Your conference minister will help you find a pastoral mentor, will attend Weekend Learning Events with you, and will use your input to help shape the future of the Journey program!
Oct. 15, 2019 Registration opens for Winter 2020
Dec. 16, 2019 Early registration deadline (Save $100)
Jan. 8, 2020 Final registration for Winter 2020
Jan 31 - Feb. 2, 2020 Weekend Learning Event at AMBS, Elkhart Ind.
Feb. 19, 2020 Online session begins
The cost for the Winter session is $450 USD before Dec. 16, and $550 USD after. This does not include lodging and meal fees for the Winter Weekend Learning Event. See Lodging and Meal fees for more information.
Lodging and meal fees for Weekend Learning Events are due Jan. 15 and are non-refundable. Fees cover both you and your pastoral mentor for the weekend, including two nights.
Meals plus shared room, 2 per room: $252 USD per pair
Meals plus individual rooms: $422 USD per pair
Meals only: $95 USD per pair