Spiritual Direction: Mystery and Spiritual Direction: Wisdom
Spiritual Direction: Mystery and Spiritual Direction: Wisdom are the next level of our supervised program for those who want to become spiritual directors or to make spiritual guidance a part of their ministry. Spiritual Direction: Mystery and Spiritual Direction: Wisdom are offered on alternating years. You can take one or both parts in any order.
Spiritual Direction: Foundations is a prerequisite for taking Spiritual Direction: Mystery and Spiritual Direction: Wisdom. A spiritual direction training program similar to Foundations may be substituted for the prerequisite with approval from the instructor.
Spiritual Direction: Mystery focuses primarily (although not exclusively) on the ineffable presence and activity of God as experienced in the lives of directees. Topics may include:
- God's salvation in darkness
- Desert and apophatic spiritualities
- Working with rather than against sexuality
- Recognizing and collaborating with the Holy Spirit
- Sabbath as a context for living with God in time
- Reframing and recontextualizing contexts
- Identifying healthy and unhealthy spiritualities
- Using ritual actions
- Honing visual perception
- Learning the language of the body
- Helping directees move from loneliness to solitude
- Working with people in brief, short-term ways
Spiritual Direction: Wisdom focuses primarily (although not exclusively) on the perceptive insights and concrete skills that we spiritual directors bring to our work. Topics may include:
- Using the Bible in direction
- Creation spiritualities
- The prayer practice of beholding
- The nature of transformation
- Developing rules of life
- Understanding the stages of spiritual practice
- Using the arts
- Applying theological insights in direction
- Long-term direction relationships
- Working with highly sensitive persons
- Navigating boundary crossings and violations
Each seminar requires a total of eight days of class plus reading, supervision, and several short assignments. In light of ongoing COVID realities, the seminar will be offered in-person as well as online. Students may choose which format they are most comfortable with.
You’ll immerse yourself in both the theory and practice of spiritual guidance through:
- Interactive classroom presentations
- Mentoring and supervision from instructor Dan Schrock
- Group prayer
- Practical, directed reading and writing assignments
- Regular meetings with directees of your own
- Attend all sessions and keep up with all assignments.
- Offer regular spiritual direction to at least two people during the year, preferably three.
- Receive regular spiritual direction from your own director.
- Present three cases for supervision.
- Choose a spiritual practice that you want to maintain for the duration of the seminar.
- Bidwell, Duane. Short-Term Spiritual Guidance. Minneapolis: Augsburg Fortress, 2004.
- Guyon, Madame Jeanne. Experiencing the Depths of Jesus Christ. Please buy this edition
- Reed, Angela H., Richard R. Osmer, and Marcus G. Smucker. Spiritual Companioning: A Guide to Protestant Theology and Practice. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2015
You won't receive academic credit, but 3.2 CEUs (Continuing Education Units) are available for completing this seminar.
Dan Schrock, D. Min., Sessional Faculty, has 24 years of experience as a spiritual director. He is a co-editor (with Marlene Kropf) of An Open Place: The Ministry of Group Spiritual Direction (Morehouse, 2012) and author of The Dark Night: A Gift of God (Herald, 2009). He received a Doctor of Ministry degree with an emphasis in Christian Spirituality from Columbia Theological Seminary, Decatur, Ga., and has completed a year-long practicum in supervising spiritual directors from Together in the Mystery. He has also worked as a pastor for 30 years.
Sounds great, I'm ready to register!
For more information, email us or call (574) 296-6269.
Spiritual Direction: Wisdom and Spiritual Direction: Mystery are offered on alternating years.
Spiritual Direction: Wisdom will be offered 2021-2022.
- Early registration deadline: Sept. 3 (save $100)
- Final registration deadline: Sept. 20
Spiritual Direction: Mystery will be offered 2022-2023.
Early registration deadline: Sep. 3. Early registration cost: $800 USD
Final registration deadline: Sep. 20. Regular registration cost: $900 USD
A non-refundable deposit of $325 USD is due upon acceptance. The remaining payment is due the first day of the seminar, Oct. 4.
Course cancellations after the first week of class will not be refunded.
Participants in Spiritual Direction: Wisdom will meet from 11:00 am - 4:30 pm on each of the following days:
- Oct. 4-5, 2021
- Jan. 10-11, 2022
- Mar. 7-8, 2022
- May 9-10, 2022
Lodging may be available for a fee, upon request, at the seminary guest house. Contact the AMBS receptionist, 574.295.3726 ext. 0, to check availability. Please bring your own sack lunch or eat at a local restaurant.
Email us or call 574.296.6269.