Rooted and Grounded:
A Conference on Land and Christian Discipleship
October 1-3, 2015
Hosted by Anabaptist Mennonite Biblical Seminary, Elkhart, Indiana
Many people are becoming increasingly aware of the intimate connection between the environmental crisis and our detachment from the land. In response, the church is called to root itself more deeply in the biblical text in order to remember and imagine ways of living on the land that are restorative and reconciling. Last year’s Rooted and Grounded conference began these conversations, with 170 participants from across North America. Building on the enthusiasm of that event, we announce a second Rooted and Grounded conference, and invite submissions for papers and workshops.
Conference keynote speakers
- Wilma Bailey is Minnie Vautrin Professor Emerita of Christian Witness and of Hebrew Bible and Aramaic Scripture, Christian Theological Seminary, Indianapolis, Ind. Among Dr. Bailey’s writings are several Adult Bible Study Guides, including: Genesis: God Created a People, Called To Be God’s People, and Genesis: Beginnings.
- Sylvia Keesmaat is an adjunct professor at the Institute for Christian Studies and the Toronto School of Theology. She is author of Colossians Remixed: Subverting the Empire (with Brian Walsh, 2004). She lives on an organic solar-powered farm in Cameron, Ont.
- Ched Myers is a leading voice in watershed discipleship, activist theologian, biblical scholar, popular educator, author, organizer and advocate. He and Elaine Enns, his wife, are part of Bartimaeus Cooperative Ministries, which emphasizes education for restorative justice, biblical literacy, ecological discipleship and radical economic sharing.
Along with AMBS, these two organizations are cooperating in this event:
- Blessed Earth’s Seminary Stewardship Alliance
- Institute for Ecological Regeneration of Merry Lea Environmental Learning Centre
A block of rooms (with 2 queen beds or 1 king) has been reserved at Comfort Suites South in Elkhart (27838 County Road 24), about 5 minutes from AMBS. The cost is $85 plus taxes ($95.20) per night for 1 or 2 people. Includes breakfast. Call (574) 293-9390 and ask for the Rooted and Grounded rate. After September 8, the rooms will be available to the general public, although our conference price will be honored if rooms are still available.
What to expect
The three days will weave together worship, theology, biblical study and praxis.
In addition to keynote presentations, papers and workshops, participants will join in several worship services. An afternoon of immersion experiences will give participants opportunities to explore conservation and restoration efforts in the region.
The AMBS campus, with areas of native grass and wildflowers, rain gardens, a prayer labyrinth and a walking path, will provide opportunities for both learning, recreation and meditation.
Rooted and Grounded 2014
- Read the news story about the 2014 conference.
- See a photo album of presenters and activities on Facebook.