Published: October 19, 2021
We appreciate the ways you’re already joining in God’s work in the world as Voluntary Service workers, and we’d love for you to be part of our learning community at AMBS.
Seminary is a wonderful place to strengthen the biblical and theological foundation for your work as you learn with and from people from around the world. Our students like that seminary gives them opportunities to reflect on their work and apply what they’re learning for the good of the church and their communities.
Learn about benefits for Voluntary Service workers
- For current VSers: Voluntary Service tuition discount
- For past VSers: Voluntary Service Scholarship
For current VSers: Voluntary Service tuition discount
AMBS offers a 75-percent tuition discount to active participants in the Voluntary Service programs named below. It’s our way of saying Thanks for volunteering! and Come try seminary!
This discount is available to VSers who have a baccalaureate degree and have not yet been admitted to AMBS. Students will need to purchase their course textbooks.
Take a course as a way to learn with your housemates or on your own!
For Shalom Project or PULSE participants
Costs for courses during the 2022–23 academic year after the 75-percent tuition discount has been applied:
- Cost for a four-credit-hour course = $635 (normal rate: $2,300)
- Cost for a three-credit-hour course = $476.25 (normal rate: $1,725)
- Cost for a two-credit-hour course = $317.50 (normal rate: $1,150)
- Cost for a one-credit-hour course = $158.75 (normal rate: $575)
(Based on the 2022–23 hourly tuition rate of $555/hour. The Student Services Fee of $20/credit hour is not discounted.)
For Mennonite Voluntary Service participants
- Cost for a four-credit-hour course = $385 (normal rate: $2,300; MVS reimburses $250)
- Cost for a three-credit-hour course = $226.25 (normal rate: $1,725; MVS reimburses $250)
- Cost for a two-credit-hour course = $142.50 (normal rate: $1,150; MVS reimburses $175)
- Cost for a one-credit-hour course = $58.75 (normal rate: $575; MVS reimburses $100)
MVSers should contact their representative at Mennonite Mission Network to inquire about the process for obtaining reimbursement.
Registration and more info
For course descriptions and information on instructors, see our Upcoming courses page. You’re expected to spend 10–12 hours each week on a three-credit-hour course. The credit you earn can be applied toward a degree at AMBS or transferred elsewhere. We hope you’ll take advantage of this opportunity!
- Visit our VS Course registration page to sign up. (Please do not use the “Guest registration form” on the Upcoming courses page; it will not calculate the appropriate VS discount.)
- Questions? Contact Teresa Thompson Sherrill, MDiv, Enrollment and Financial Aid Specialist.
For past VSers: Voluntary Service Scholarship
Thank you for giving your time and energy to participate in a Voluntary Service program! AMBS has partnered with Christian Voluntary Service programs to offer scholarships to former VSers.
- Purpose: To affirm people’s decision to participate in a voluntary service (VS) program and to make theological education accessible for more leaders and emerging leaders in the church
- Recipient: Awarded to former participants in an approved VS program who completed the program in good standing
- Amount: $1,500 to be applied toward graduate-level tuition (for a program of study or for-credit courses)
- Application deadline: None
Other VS scholarship information
- Scholarship type: Program
- Duration: Enrollment must occur within five years of the completion of the student’s VS assignment; the funds can only be disbursed during one academic year. However, if a former VSer is enrolled in an academic program of study, the scholarship is renewable if he or she maintains full-time student status (for three years for a Master of Divinity or two years for a Master of Arts).
- Recipient’s program: Master of Divinity Campus; Master of Divinity Connect; MA in Christian Formation; MA: Theology and Global Anabaptism; MA: Theology and Peace Studies; Graduate Certificate in Theological Studies; Guest students taking one course
- Recipient’s location of study: On campus or from a distance
- Recipient’s enrollment status: Full time or Part time
- Recipient’s permanent residence: U.S., Canada or international
- Recipient’s church affiliation: None specified
- Note: If students take an AMBS course while serving in a VS program, they will only be eligible for the VS scholarship for a future course if they receive a grade of C or higher in the course.
VS scholarship guidelines
- Who is eligible? Former VS participants in an approved VS program who completed the program in good standing. Any VS program that has an agreement in place with AMBS is an approved program.
- A scholarship in the amount of $1,500 will be provided to former VS participants if they enroll in a program of study and/or for-credit course.
- Enrollment must occur within five years of the completion of the student’s VS assignment.
- The scholarship funds can only be applied toward AMBS tuition and can only be disbursed during one academic year. However, if former VSers are enrolled in an academic program of study, the scholarship is renewable if they maintains full-time student status.
Note: The MDiv program is designed to be completed in three years, and MA programs are designed to be completed in two years. Students are eligible to receive the scholarship award based on the number of years required to complete their specific program of study.
- If students take an AMBS course while serving in a VS program, they will only be eligible for the VS scholarship for a future course if they receive a grade of C or higher in the course.
Apply for the Voluntary Service Scholarship
To apply: Check the “Voluntary Service” box on your Scholarship Application, and the Financial Aid Office will verify your participation in the program. There is no application deadline.