Spiritual Direction: Wisdom
Spiritual Direction: Wisdom and Spiritual Direction: Mystery are the next level of our supervised program for those who want to become spiritual directors or to make spiritual guidance a part of their ministry.
Wisdom and Mystery are offered on alternating years. You can take one or both parts in any order. They are offered in a blended format, with students participating either in person or online.
Who can sign up for Spiritual Direction: Wisdom?
Spiritual Direction: Foundations is a prerequisite for taking Spiritual Direction: Wisdom. A spiritual direction training program similar to Foundations may be substituted for the prerequisite with approval from the instructor.
What will I learn in Spiritual Direction: Wisdom?
The Wisdom seminar focuses primarily (although not exclusively) on the perceptive insights and concrete skills that we spiritual directors bring to our work. Topics may include:
- Exploring five spiritual pathways in directees
- Creation spiritualities
- The nature of transformation
- Developing rules of life
- Understanding the stages of spiritual practice
- Using the arts
- Long-term direction relationships
- Working with highly sensitive persons
- Navigating boundary crossings and violations
Will I come to campus or work from home?
The Wisdom seminar requires a total of eight days of class plus reading, supervision, and several short assignments. The seminar is offered in-person and online. Students may choose which format they prefer.
What kind of work will we be doing?
You’ll immerse yourself in both the theory and practice of spiritual guidance through:
- Interactive classroom presentations
- Mentoring and supervision from instructor Dan Schrock
- Group prayer
- Practical, directed reading and writing assignments
- Regular meetings with directees of your own
What will be expected of me as a participant?
- Attend all sessions and keep up with all assignments.
- Offer regular spiritual direction to at least two people during the year, preferably three.
- Receive regular spiritual direction from your own director.
- Present three cases for supervision.
- Review a book for spiritual directors on a topic of your choice.
Which textbooks will we use for Spiritual Direction: Wisdom?
- Benner, David G. Spirituality and the Awakening Self: The Sacred Journey of Transformation. Grand Rapids: Brazos, 2012.
- Cole-Turner, Ron. Prayer in the Trinity: A Brief Theology of Christian Prayer. TheologyPlus Publishing, 2018. Available here
Will I receive academic credit?
You won’t receive academic credit, but 3.2 CEUs (Continuing Education Units) are available for completing this seminar.
Who will be teaching the class?
Dan Schrock, DMin, has over 25 years of experience as a spiritual director. He is a co-editor (with Marlene Kropf) of An Open Place: The Ministry of Group Spiritual Direction (Morehouse, 2012) and author of The Dark Night: A Gift of God (Herald, 2009). He received a Doctor of Ministry degree with an emphasis in Christian Spirituality from Columbia Theological Seminary, Decatur, Ga. He is a member of Spiritual Directors International and has completed a year-long practicum in supervising spiritual directors from Together in the Mystery. For 30 years, he served as a pastor in three lively Mennonite congregations.
Sounds great, I’m ready to register!
Spiritual Direction: Wisdom and Spiritual Direction: Mystery are offered on alternating years.
- Early registration cost: $800 USD
- Regular registration cost: $900 USD
A non-refundable deposit of $400 USD is due upon acceptance. The remaining payment is due the first day of the seminar.
Course cancellations after the first week of class will not be refunded.
Spiritual Direction: Wisdom will meet a total of eight days over the course of the 2024-25 academic year, beginning in October and ending in May.
Lodging and Meals
Lodging may be available for a fee, upon request, at the seminary guest house. Contact the AMBS receptionist, 574.295.3726 ext. 0, to check availability. Please bring your own sack lunch or eat at a local restaurant.
Email us or call 574.296.6269.